Are you entitled to help with childcare costs? 

Tax Credit information for families can be seen at:

Childcare vouchers effectively allow employees to swap untaxed income for childcare. Employees pay no income tax and national insurance on the money they spend on childcare. This is also known as a salary sacrifice scheme. Many organisations offer a Childcare Voucher Scheme to their staff, so you should speak to your employer directly. The vouchers requested are deducted from your pay salary prior to National Insurance and Tax being applied so giving you savings. For more information visit:

Free Early Education

The Government provides a free universal entitlement for all three and four year old children to attend an early years provider, starting the term after a child's 3rd birthday. This is called Free Early Education. The entitlement is designed to be flexible so that you can choose where you would like your child to go and what hours they will attend (subject to availability).

All providers can now offer funding for up to 15 hours early years provision each week. The entitlement is for regular attendance agreed between the parent and provider. Your chosen provider will give you the necessary forms to claim the funding and they are responsible for sending these forms back to the Local Authority. The funding for your child's hours is then paid directly to the provider.

Some two year olds can also receive the entitlement subject to fulfilling the specified criteria. More information please visit the GOV.UK website:
or refer to your local Council’s guidance from the web links at the end of this section.

Other useful links:
Benefits for families:
Universal Credit:
Benefits calculator:
Child benefit:
Maternity and Paternity Rights:
Maternity pay entitlement calculator:
Maternity rights at work:

Advice Guide – Self Help from Citizens Advice:

Working Families (rights at work for parents and carers) Freephone: 0300 012 0312 or

Money Advice Service:

Gingerbread (Single Parents, equal families):

Bristol City Council

Help with costs, including the Free Early Years Entitlement:

Information and Advice

Contact the Family Information Service on 0845 129 7217, email: or visit our web page:

South Gloucestershire

Free childcare for three and four year olds:
Free childcare for two year olds:

Information and Advice

Our information service offers information, advice and guidance on a wide range of linked support services for children, young people, their families and carers in South Gloucestershire. To find out what we can offer please visit:, or telephone: 01454 868008, or email:

The children’s centres in our priority neighbour hoods; Cadbury Heath, Filton, Kingswood, Patchway, Staple Hill, and Yate / Dodington will provide support to the most disadvantaged families to help children within these families achieve the best start in life.

The team will also provide targeted outreach activities across the locality. Each centre will provide a flexible programme of activities based on both individual and the needs of the local communities. The programme of activities that will be delivered by the council, health and other partners from these centres to support families include:

  • health (with particular focus on ante-natal care, breast feeding, obesity, and health lifestyles).
  • early years development.
  • childminding groups.
  • dad's groups.
  • stay and play.
  • developing positive parenting.
  • adult learning and job readiness.

Citizens Advice South Gloucestershire

Tel: 08444 111 444

Job Centre Plus

Tel: 0845 6060 234